If you’re in the market for the right property management company, it’s essential to interview them before contracting with them. You want to ensure they fit well with your needs and can provide a professional and all-inclusive service to keep your tenants happy and relieve some of the day-to-day stress of managing your property.
There are a lot of aspects of managing a property to think about, and being prepared for your interview is essential. So, we’ve compiled a list of things to think about as well as property management interview questions you could ask.
How Do I Prepare for a Property Management Interview?
A property management interview is an important step in the process of choosing a management company, and it’s one that you should be prepared to handle well. Taking the time to prepare your thoughts on what you are looking for in a management company is essential for choosing to correct one. Here are some tips on how to do just that:
- Know what you want out of a property manager. Identify any specific skills and services you are searching for when hiring a management company. Think of this as what you want to include in your job description when finding a manager. These may include marketing your units, finding quality tenants, and handling rent and late payments. You want someone with excellent organizational skills and conflict resolution skills. Understand their leadership style and evaluate if it coincides with your needs.
- Understand what services they offer before the interview and confirm during it. You will want to know how they deal with tenant complaints, vet prospective tenants, property inspections, maintenance requests, etc.
- Be honest with yourself about your own strengths and weaknesses. When choosing a property management company, knowing your own skills is essential. The company will manage most of the day-to-day tasks, but you are still the property owner. Ask yourself where you are strong and where you may be weak, and choose a company that complements your skill set.
- Write down your interview questions. Property manager interviews shouldn’t be stressful; one way to make them more manageable is by writing down your questions. Try to mix up your questions between yes and no and open-ended questions on the aspects of property management and their services.
- It’s essential to know what their previous experience is with managing property. You can always ask for their property portfolio to see what types of properties they have managed currently or in the past.
What are the 10 Most Common Interview Questions and Answers for it?
Here is a list of the most common property manager interview questions and answers:
- Tell me about your company.
This is probably the first thing you’ll want to ask as the manager. Simply asking about their background and mission in managing your property will let you know them better.
- Why did you choose this career path?
You can also ask about their previous role before being in the property management industry. Then you can ask why they decided to start a management company or work for one. This will give you some insight into their background and any other adjacent skills they may have.
- What do you consider your strongest skills and abilities?
Knowing their management ability is essential for keeping your property well maintained, and tenants attended to and happy.
- How many years have you been a property manager?
A property manager or management company with experience should know the ins and outs of managing rentals. Although experience isn’t the only thing to base your decision on, it can give you some insight into the difference between using an experienced manager and a brand-new one.
- What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
This is another good question to ask yourself that will give you an indication of the person’s self-awareness. If they answer honestly about where they have weaknesses, you should evaluate if those are areas where you have strengths that will balance each other out.
- Describe a situation in which you were faced with a conflict with a previous tenant.
By asking about a previous challenging situation, you’ll be able to evaluate how the person handles conflict, which is likely to come up at least once with a tenant.
- Do you use property management software for record-keeping? What types of records do you keep for potential landlords?
This is an essential question to understand how they organize paperwork. Most of these documents you will need to be able to have access to, especially when it’s time to file your taxes. These include a total rental income per unit and any expenses incurred on repairs, maintenance, utilities, etc.
- What are your hours? Do you have after-hours abilities to handle emergencies?
Your tenants may have emergencies pop up that require immediate attention. It’s important to know how your potential property manager handles these types of situations, so you know that your tenants are always taken care of.
- Can I cancel my management contract?
You will want to understand your management agreement in and out. If you decide once you’ve started with a company that it isn’t for you, you will want to know how to terminate your agreement and its terms. Always ask questions and understand the contract before signing.
- How will I get updates on my properties?
When owning one or multiple properties, you want to ensure they are being taken care of. This is where communication between you and the management company is key. A well-established property manager will be able to provide you with periodic updates on your properties and keep an open communication line with you.
What Questions Should I Ask When Interviewing a Property Management Company?
Here are some additional questions to ask when interviewing a property manager:
- Can you provide references from previous clients?
- How do you handle screening and vetting tenants?
- Do you offer direct deposit for rent payments?
- How do you handle maintenance and repair issues?
- How do you market properties?
- How many properties do you currently manage?
Where Can I Find a Good Property Management Company?
Check out Suncoast Leasing & Management! We offer property owners various property management services. Work with a successful property manager who knows the ins and outs of properly managing rental properties. Allow us to take on the day-to-day responsibilities. Contact our staff today and see how you can get started.